As 2023 starts to unfold, there is no time like the present to take stock of your cybersecurity and get your defences in order. With the ever-increasing number of cyber threats, it’s essential to ensure that your business is protected. Here are some cybersecurity resolutions that you should consider implementing in 2023 to secure your business:
1. Update your software and systems: With new vulnerabilities discovered every day, it’s essential to keep all your software and systems up to date. Regularly apply the latest security patches and updates to ensure that your systems are protected against the latest threats. Failure to do so can result in vulnerabilities being exploited by attackers and a possible data breach.
2. Train your employees: Often the weakest links in an organisation’s cyber defence are people. Make sure that your employees are aware of the latest threats and have the knowledge to identify and report suspicious activity. Consider providing regular security awareness training and simulated phishing exercises to keep your employees vigilant. Overlooking people as a potential risk can leave your employees vulnerable to social engineering attacks and can result in a data breach.
3. Implement multi-factor authentication: Passwords can be easily compromised, and with the increase of remote working, it’s essential to implement multi-factor authentication. While tough to crack, even the strongest passwords can be leaked or revealed through social engineering. MFA will make it much more difficult for attackers to gain access to your systems.
4. Obtain Cyber Essentials certification: Cyber Essentials is a government-backed certification scheme with a set of basic requirements that organisations should implement that offer protection against low-level cyber-attacks. Achieving the Cyber Essentials certification can help your business to protect itself against up to 80% of all cyber-attacks, so we strongly recommend adding it to your list of aims for the year. At OmniCyber Security, we offer a consultancy service offering support for the base-level Cyber Essentials self-assessment, as well as assessment services if you want to go the extra mile and achieve the Cyber Essentials Plus certification.
5. Review and update your incident response plan: An incident response plan outlines the steps your organization will take in the event of a cyber-attack, and it’s essential to review and update it regularly. This will ensure that you are prepared to respond quickly and effectively if a breach occurs.
By implementing these resolutions in 2023, you can take a proactive approach to secure your business and be better prepared to defend against cyber threats. It’s essential to remember that cybersecurity is an ongoing process, not a one-time task. Achieving and maintaining a high level of cybersecurity requires continuous efforts and regular monitoring. By making cybersecurity a priority and taking the necessary steps to protect your business, you can minimize the risk of a data breach and minimize the impact if a breach does occur.
Our experts at OmniCyber Security are always willing to offer you advice and assistance. If you are struggling with any of the resolutions here. If you want to know more about our Cyber Essentials support or any of our other services, don’t hesitate to contact us. We can help you to improve your cybersecurity posture and achieve the level of protection your business needs.